From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:58:34 -0500
Not really. I believe it was just after World War 1 and only in
a very few states.

	Oklahoma and many Southern states did not observe
Daylight Saving Time until 1967 but much of the US has been
using it since the thirties.

	Europe also has it. What you might be thinking of is
that Double Daylight Saving Time was introduced during World War
2 for the whole country. It was called "War Time" and, if you
listen to old recordings of war-time radio broadcasts, you will
sometimes hear somebody refer to "Eastern War Time." I don't
know if that was DST with or without the extra hour.

	Don't take my word for all this, but it's been tried in
one form or other since Ben Franklin suggested it back in the
1700's.

	I lived in Arkansas in 1967 and one of my sister's
school teachers noted in class that only God can change the
time, etc. Some farmer complained that the extra hour of Sun
light would burn up the crops. I have no idea whether he was
serious or not.

	Back in 1967, DST started on the last Sunday in April
for everybody. It was a result of something called the National
Uniform Time Standards Act which you can definitely blame on
Congress but the reasoning was sound. Various states did or did
not adopt DST so it made life rough for business. By the mid
sixties, the 3 main television networks said that they would not
delay programs any longer for affiliates in states that did not
use DST so the law made everybody go on and off DST at the same
time.

	Those states like Michigan and Arizona and Hawaii who
were exempted basically got out because they are near the edges
of the time zones or, in the case of Hawaii, it makes no sense
at all as part of Hawaii is on or very hear the Equator so the
whole state gets about the same length of day all year.