From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:42:38 -0500
there's always a way. I know a guy running a ham stick dipole inside his
apartment on 10 meters, I'm not sure I'd do it on that band, but if it's
doable there it is on most bands. There's always the wire option, you can
always experiment. Maybe use a low pass filter right off to prevent RFI if
there would be any, but you can do it, there's always a way. I used to do
all kinds of crazy antenna setups on vacations and stuff where I wasn't sure
about antenna restrictions or anything, I just wanted to be low profile.
Last year with my Carolina bug catcher on the tripod, that was a little
noticeable considering it took up 3/4 of the front yard because the yard was
so small, but everyone thought it was a bug zapper believe it or not. I know
people that run the outbacker and tripod setups on balconies outside
apartments, it's really a case of how far you're willing to do, how much
they'll let you do or how much you want to push it. If I couldn't get on HF,
I'd get out of radio completely but also, I'd never move anywhere I couldn't
put up at least something for HF. I do a little UHF and VHF, but if I
couldn't get on HF and had no choice at all, no hiding antennas or anything,
that UHF and VHF stuff would be gone too, that alone would never hold my
interest