Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:13:14 -0500
Boy, ain't that the truth--real radios do glow in the dark, Lol!

I remember before I had my tuning aid I used to tune up by the brightness of a
75-watt lightbulb.

I agree that it was in some respects easier to operate those rigs.  I couldn't
get my freq closer than 3 KHz using a VFO and crystal calibrator, but that
wasn't a problem then since the band edges were usually on a calibrator freq,
except for the top end of 20 meters.

I did my best with a TS-820 that a friend modified; he placed some pins in the
skirt of the dial; the largest head was at zero, and the smaller heads were at
the 10Khz points.  I could get my freq within a kilohertz with that system.
That dial skirt rotated 100KHz per turn, although the knob itself was on a
Vernier mechanism which turned 20KHz per revolution, as I recall.  The nice
thing is if you turned the skirt, you could fly from one end of the band to the
other.

Steve