From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:56:13 -0700
This question comes up every month or so and I write a reply and think

I should have saved a copy of what I wrote last month.  So, this time,

I'm saving a copy.  I havbe both hts.  Honestly, I use the Kenwood more

for ham use just because it is easier to program and I have all the

local repeaters in it for Las Vegas.  I'm going to buy a cable to

program the t90 from a local ham if he ever brings it by.  I do have

the cable for the Kenwood.  Here are my thoughts, for whatever they are

worth.

First, let us compare assessories.  Kenwood is  high on these things,

as all manufacturers seem to be, but Icom is even more expensive.

Examples.  Kenwood software is free on line.  Icom software I think is

$25.00.  Kenwood computer programming cable is $35.00.  Icom cable is

$45.00.  NOte, this cable is available from another source for $25.

The DC power cord is similar.  $35 for the Kenwood, $45 for the icom.

The icom specificly says in the book not to exceed 11.5 volts, so

you'll need some kind of regulater if you plan to run it on 12v

cigarrete lighter, which you could build or buy their high priced dc

cord.

Layout.  I prefer the layout on the kenwood.  It has a more standard

keypad, basically 4 by 4.  The icom has 3 keys up and down and 5 wide

which I think is a little strange.

Tv band and cw.  The two main reasons I bought the t90 after already

owning a th-f6 are these.  The icom has a cw readout for frequency.

Also, the Icom has TV channels preprogrammed.  NOt a big deal, as I

programmed all of the channels into the kenwood when I got the cable.

I don't know if Icom also played with the filtering or what, but the

690 beats the kenwood hands down for receive on TV channels.  I

compared them side by side many times.  I've even swapped antennas.

Icom always wins.  Stations I can't even hear on the Kenwood are

crystal clear on the 690.  I suspect it has something to do with the

bandwidth.  I ran into an engineer at the N A B convention here, and he

tole me Tv channels were 25 KC wide, and I think Fm is a hundred.

The icom does not receive as high a frequency as the Kenwood, but I

don't recall the exact numbers.  One big drawback, and I don't know why

they did this, is what the icom does above 900.  I use some wireless

headphones and speaker systems at home and I like to grab the ht and

listen to these outside.  The kenwood works fine as I can put it in

wide fm mode above 900.  Not so with the 690.  It forces you to narro

and won't receive wide at all.  Also, the Kenwood receives sideband.

It isn't very sensative, but does make a nice transmit monitor.

I feel the Kenwood is easier to program.  The icom isn't bad once you

get the hang of it, I just think the Kenwood is more intuitive.  I
haven't checked lately, but I think the 690 is less expensive for the

basic package than the Kenwood.

I guess, if I had to pick, I'd pick the Kenwood.  Actually, I'd like to

cross them and come up with one heck of a radio.  Hope this helps.  AS

the old saying goes, your mileage may vary...

73s.
Butch
WA0VJR.