From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:53:48 -0600
I now have two rohn 25G towers.  One is 65 foot and guyed in two places and
the other is 45 feet and I have a house bracket at about 10 feet above
ground on that one.  I also have one set of guys near the top but they
really aren't needed because I only have a small two meter antenna on top of
that one.  The guys are actually bolted with large eye bolts to either end
of my house and to a fence post in the back yard which is in concrete.  The
base of the shorter tower is also in about a foot of concrete for a base.  I
once had a 40 foot tower with a 4 element 20 meter beam on it with basically
the same arrangement just described.  It went through a 110 mile an hour
wind once and all that happened was the antenna twisted on the mast.  That
40 foot tower, however, was bolted to the house at 14 feet above ground and
the single set of guys were at about 35 feet.  The house bracket I used
then, and I am using now on one tower, is not directly bolted to the side of
the house.  along the roof line overhang, I have about four feet of two by
four bolted down in four places with large wood bolts.  Then the bracket,
when the tower was set and the concrete dried, was bolted into that two by
four so it has added strength.  the only reason I put guys on my 45 foot
tower with my two meter antenna is because I get nervous with all the sway
but according to all I read about rohn towers before putting mine up, they
claim, if you bolt it to the house, and have something like only two square
feet of antenna, you need no guys for a 50 foot tower.  You never could pay
me enough to climb 50 feet of rohn 25 with guys unless it was bolted to the
house 50 feet off the ground, haw.  Man, I don't even like the sway on 65
feet of tower when it is guyed at two points.

Phil.
k0nx