From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:59:41 -0500
In my next message I'll send the info to let echolink work with a linksys
router but I don't think this message will fit both due to the small
limitations on message size on this list so, anyway, When you want to use a
firewall on your computer, which I strongly recommend, do not use the XP
built in firewall. It's a piece of junk. With out getting technical, myself
and a friend put it on a test computer this week, or activated it I should
say and it only blocked 15% of what it should have, but caused trouble with
60% of what we wanted it to let through, 20% of that not being fixable with
out disabling the firewall in XP. You want a firewall on your computer,
again I strongly recommend it, run Sygate, Norton's firewall, black ice,
zone alarm, or any 1 of a number of firewalls, they're mostly free and work
very well, I use sygate and the same test on the same test computer shows it
blocks all I wanted to or at least questions it and only 1 or 2 programs I
had trouble configuring it to let go through though we did get it
eventually. The help forums for that program are great. Even if you have a
router with a firewall, that only stops things from coming in to your
computer, like hackers and stuff, they don't stop much from coming out,
especially spyware that can use common ports so you should have both.  Now,
in my next email, how to make your echolink program work through a linksys
router.