From:
Keith Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 17:43:04 +0100
Hi Andy,

Well, if it is only a random wire you are talking about then your
most trouble free option would be to find yourself a manual tuner and
one of the meters that get talked about on the list.

Several good tuners out there, some of the classics are worth a look
perhaps like the drake series.

Kenwood and yaesu made some tuners which were band switched so you
would not need to play with 3 controls, just switch to the right band
and move the two caps.

Also, kw z matches are quite cheap on ebay.  The z match is not the
most efficient tuner but will match a wide range although they are
really meant for ballanced aerials.

Also, sem used to make a z match which had a noise bridge built in.
This means that you use your receiver to match the aerial by tuning
for minimum noise.  This is kinder to the transmitter and more
social.

hth

It is also worth remembering that while some of the auto tuners claim
to match 8 feet of wire on top band or 80, this would be so
inefficient that it would be hopeless.

On 31 May 2006 at 15:44, andy m0ceg wrote:

> Hello Keith,  As far as I know Castle are still going but the last time I
> heard they had moved to Wales some where,  As for the tuner I bought this
> second hand from a friend in the Staights,  I only paid £58, for it  and
> what the  SGC are asking I just might as well go and buy a new one over
> here,  I have just been reading a txt file of another Auto tuner  from MFJ
> model  MFJ 928,  but it doesn't say about a random length of wire.  So I
> just don't know which way to go now.

Keith

- - - -