From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:07:32 -0600
It's like most things, pick your poison.  Their are a few things about the
radio I don't like, but I wouldn't trade it for any other radio either.  1.
The audio is 2.4 kHz wide.  It can't be widened.  It is also reported to be
very clean and clear.  If I want to broadcast I fire up the valiant.  For
hifi ssb you want a ts850 or ts870.
I have no idea why they reversed the hot and ground on the mike input.  A
converter for a standard wired desk mike would fix that.  That along with
the fact that the mike plugs in the radio rather than the head is a major
pain.  Early models had low PEP ssb output, this has been fixed.  Knocking
over the head.  Well it's better than knocking over the radio I guess.  With
the radio's small size and weight, that could be done.  The quality of the
radio on CW, the accessibility of it's menus, and the flexibility of the
control head makes it a great radio for my needs.  It looks like remote
controlling it from the Internet and computer are also usable options with
this radio, but I haven't tried that yet.
As far as rx selectivity, with the IF filters rather than depending on just
audio filtering, I find the radio to be very sensitive and selective.  The
bandpass tuning can also be used to add to selectivity.  RX audio is fine to
me, with the availability of 5khz bandpass for SSB and AM.  Now it's not a
75a1, but the old collins gear wouldn't fit in a van either.
Remember, I pound brass first, and the ts480 seems like the biggest bang for
the buck.  I thought about the 2000, but found a 480 plus a tmv71 would cost
a lot less.  Maybe not now, since the 2000 has dropped in price.  The remote
head just outweighs any disadvantages of the radio, since you are freed from
an uncomfortable chair at a radio desk.
5 minnits on the couch with your HF station in your hand will probably
convince you that this is a good idea.  Again, it's priorities.  I like
knowing my power output, processor settings, mike gain, RF gain level, and
status of my noise blankers antennas, and which equalization curve I am
using for transmit and receive.