From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 00:31:27 -0600
yep.  Very hard to get an accurate peak reading on the LDG tw1...even with a
whistle or tone into the mike you have to be mighty quick with the finger on
the power output button.
Even then, to get anything like a peak reading, I take three readings with a
whistle or tone input to the mike, then average them to figure out what my
average output is instead of the peak output.
with a radio rated at 100 watts output on SSB, you should average about 75
to 80 if you have hot audio and close talk the mike...40
to 60 with medium audio, no processer...sure your voice will peak the
transmitter to 100 watts for a few milliseconds on certain strong silibals,
but the average will be around half the rated peak output.  There is a
reason radios come with speech processers...to increase the average output
to the full rated output of the radio with a normal speaking voice.
regards
Colin