From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:08:47 -0400
Harvey,

The reason your clock loses time is that it is nothing more than a
programming loop somewhere in the operating system.  As long as nothing is
making heavy demands on your machine, the loop runs at the correct speed,
and your clock is accurate.  However, if something on your system makes a
heavy demand on your CPU, the loop runs slower and the clock loses time.  I
don't understand why system designers use this kind of loop instead of
reading from a hardware clock that runs independently of the operating
system.  Perhaps it goes back to a time when it was hard to build a hardware
clock that was stable and accurate.  Today, though, we have all sorts of
clock chips that run far more accurately than timing loops, but we still
cling to old habits.

Steve