From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:46:19 -0400
Michael,

It sounds to me as if you've got a keeper with that 940.  It also sounds
like the radio is in dire need of a good cleaning.  Before you go crazy
buying new radios, try taking the covers off and checking all the internal
cables that connect the boards together.  You'll probably find that
oxidation has built up on the connectors over the years, and if you
disconnect and reconnect them things will improve.  You may also find that
some boards may have worked their way out of their sockets (if you have any
of that type of board), and that firmly reseating them will help.

If you don't want to do these things yourself, you might consider sending
the radio to Kenwood for a complete checkup.  It may cost you a couple
hundred bucks, but it's well worth it if you really like the radio.  You may
want them to give you an estimate before they start working on the radio so
you can decide whether it's really worth the cost of fixing.  Good luck, and
here's hoping you can hang onto a radio that you obviously love.

Steve