From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2013 09:46:18 -0400
Hi Group,

I stayed out of this for a while, but just for the record, I got my free
phone in August of 2008--5 months before Obama took office. The big
supporter of this program was the Cellular Telecommunications Industry
Association (CTIA) those fine folks who brought up the Communications
and Privacy Act--which made illegal the importation of some kinds of
scanners and ham gear.   Thomas Wheeler, the former head of this
business front once said: "Anyone who uses radio for anything other than
entertainment--AM/FM radio or TV is a snoop."  That of course would
include ham operators, scanner enthusiasts, short-wave listeners and so
on.  He once held a key position in the George W. Bush administration
and guess where he is now?  why some sort of assistant to the FCC board
under Obama.

Suffices to say: 'love 'em or hate 'em' the free phones  are not just
Obama phones, it's a CT/IA team effort!

/