From:
don bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:18:58 -0800
Mike,

I had a Viking 2 for several years and a Challenger for a while when I
was in college.  Later got a Viking ranger.  I can't remember if I ever
ran the challenger on phone, used it pretty much on cw.  It was a
crystal controlled transmitter and I didn't have a vfo for it.

I know those vikings could cause problems if you got the grid drive too
high, but mine always seemed to level out at about max power and I just
backed the drive down a little and tweaked the final plate a bit.  But,
maybe I was just lucky though.  <smile>

I did this with all 3 vikings I owned but have to admit I really didn't
mind when I later got the drace series.  Had the r4/tx4 rigs, and at one
time or another had the a b and c.  The c was really a great radio,
especially the receiver.

In the days of the Vikings I used an sx71 receiver.  the way that thing
drifted, you would have thought it had an autoscan feature built into
it.  40 meters wasn't too bad, but on any band above that you had to
keep transmissions short otherwise you had to do some serious receiver
tuning when you turned it over to the other guy.

It was lots of fun though.

Don  w6smb