From:
tom behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:12:00 -0500
    Steve:

I tried an RF choke on the mic cable, and, although it reduced the RFI
somewhat, it did not eliminate it completely.

As a short-term fix, I may just try your solution with the additional ground
cable between the mic and the rig.

Kevin has sent me a very informative e-mail that summarizes the floating
ground issue with the Heil mic and its associated cable, especially as far
as Kenwood TS480's are concerned.  It seems that the problem is related to
which version of the rig you have, and that can be determined by the rig's
serial number.

I'll check into this as soon as I can.

I already have written to Heil about the problem, so will see what they say
too.

Thanks to everyone for bearing with me through this whole thing.  I now know
the problem, so the solution becomes easier.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ