From:
Jerry Neufeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:23:29 -0500
I would be curious to hear a more technical explanation of this. Surely,
there might be a different SWR reading from the exciter's perspective when
an additional component is switched in. With many tube-type amplifiers, the
exciter might see a nominal 50 ohm load because of a tuned cathode circuit
in the amplifier, even though the actual antenna may have a very high
standing wave. The resonance characteristics of the antenna which account
for standing waves, assuming the feed line to be matched or appropriate,
will not change, regardless of what component is connected to the coax, at
least in my opinion. I have run who knows how many linear amplifiers and
have built at least a half dozen of them, never having seen the SWR rise
above what I saw in my exciter, once the amp was tuned appropriately. 1 to 1
at the tranceiver, still 1 to 1 at linear output with pi out or other tuning
circuit adjusted properly. Correspondingly, if I see a SWR of 2.1 at the
exciter, there is absolutely no way I will truly reduce that SWR for the
linear other than creating the illusion of having done so by tuning out
reactance with an LC circuit.

I'm still learning after 50 years a ham so will be delighted to keep it up
if someone can give me a good rebuttal to my very possibly incorrect view of
things.

Jerry, v e 3 q s o