From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:49:06 -0700
In order to give you specific instructions, we'll need to know which
mailer you are using.  In what follows, I shall assume that you are using
Outlook Express.

Hit Alt-T for "tools", then O for "Options".  You'll be in a dialog box
which has multiple "tabs" or pages, each dealing with a different aspect
of the behavior of Outlook Express.  You go to these various "tabs" by
hitting Control-tab.  (You can also hit Shift-tab till you hear just the
tab's name, as in "send tab", "receipts tab", etc., and hit your right
arrow till you're on the one you want, then hit the tab key to go thru the
dialog box.)  anyway, hit Alt-tab till you're on the Send Tab.  You'll
know you're on the Send Tab because you'll hear something like "send
outgoing mail to the Sent-items folder checkbox checked".  As you tab,
you'll hear several buttons which say "text radio button checked".  If
these are not checked, hit spacebar to check them.  I suspect thay are
checked as I don't think you're sending HTML mail.  You'll also see
several buttons labeled "Text Settings...".  You want to be on the *first*
one of these after you move to the Send Tab of the Options dialog box.
now hit space-bar.  You'll find a couple of radio buttons.  The first of
these should be on Mime-encoding.  I know this might not make sense as
you're trying to get rid of it but you want to be able to send binary
attachments using MIME encoding as upposed to UUENCODeing (the usual
practice if you're posting to Usenet newsgroups).  The next radio button
over will probably say "quoted printable".  Hit up-arrow a couple times
till it says "none".  Than tab over to "okay" and hit spacebar (or, I
think, just hit ENTER as "okay" is the default).  Now tab over to "okay"
(or hit ENTER) again and you should be in business.

This stuff may be on the "advanced" tab of the Options dialog box rather
than the "Send" tab -- I'm not at my Windows machine to verify what I've
just written so I'm doing it from memory -- but the general idea is the
same and you should be sending messages in the time-honored mail format
that we all (including the light-dependent) should be using and have used
since the early 1980's. (grin)

HTH!

Mike Freeman < K 7 U I J >