From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:48:36 -0800
Well, this is the way I use to do it and I got the info from a ham
friend years ago.  Put a load on the pack and put it in the frig over
night and let it run completely down that way.  The cold does something
to the chemistry.  When you take  it out, remove the load and
immediately put on the charger.  If the cells are shorted, you hit them
with very current from a power supply that won't current limit or I've
even used a car battery.  Make sure the polarity is right and hit it for
just a fraction of a second.  This will often remove the tiny shorts
that develop internally.  Once you do this, put  it on the charger, put
on a load to discharge it and treat as above.  I've found that often
the shorts return.  Another thing worth noting is that although nickel
hydrides don't have the memory problem nicads do, they can short the
same way internally.

73
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr