From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 2009 04:12:10 -0400
Hi List,

I've been following this one for a while without comment, but I can't resist
the below spoof.

While I think automobiles which are accessible to blind people would be
great, I think there are too many monumental technical issues for this to be
fully implemented.  Therefore, I propose the extension of the service animal
idea to assist Blind people with driving.  We all know about Guide Dogs for
mobility, so how about an animal that can be taught to drive a modified
vehicle.  Now just who would be the most likely animal candidate for such a
project?  Why the Chimpanzee of course!

Their structure most closely resembles the human being--although they might
have to use hand controls similar to those that are used by wheel chair
bound people--since their leg and foot construction would be hard to match
to a standard automobile.

I can see it now! There would be schools for chimpanzee training for
automobile navigation--similar to Guiding Eyes For The Blind and The Seeing
Eye.  Poor oppressed chimps from laboratories where there is no further use
could be recruited.  The schools could also recruit chimpanzees from the
various game preserves that are a sort of half way house for chimps whose
parents have met with accidents or been poached.

Once trained, these intelligent animals whose brain capacities are only
slightly less than human beings (although I sometimes wonder about that
'slightly less' assertion) would be capable of making independent decisions
and thus more easily avoid traffic accidents and weather related issues.

It may present a few problems.  I can see it now, a chimpanzee exceeding the
speed limit is pulled over by a highway trooper.

"May I see your license and registration please."  I wonder how that would
work--since the one thing chimps cannot do is talk--something to do with the
placement of the vocal chords or something.  They can learn sign
language--so maybe all police officers would have to take a crash course in
chimp sign language.

In addition, chimps have minds of their own.  They can be down right
stubborn.  Don't under any circumstances take them to ice cream parlors.  If
you do and especially if you treat them, you may get a rather unpleasant
surprise when you use sign language to instruct your chimpanzee driver to
take you to work.  Yes, I can see it now.  You over slept and you're running
late for work.  You sign your chimp to take you downtown to your place of
employment.  You notice something odd about the twists and turns of the
driving and when the chimp pulls into the parking lot, you find out that
you're at the local Dairy Queen or Caravel's.  You sign to him that this is
not right and that he should take you to work.  He signs back something
like: "hungry need ice cream."

Well, I guess that every new bit of technology has a few bugs.  Chalk
another one up for science!

[...and I almost forgot, after the initial training--which could be paid for
by our government with the bottomless financial resources, they would work
cheaply--for peanuts perhaps!]