From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2013 23:22:43 -0400
Butch,

Looking at the  end of the  mic plug (looking at the holes), notch
pointing  down (6 o'clock position), pin 1 is to the left of the notch
(7 o'clock) then clockwise around to pin 7 which is  just to the right
of the notch (5 o'clock).  Pin 8 is dead center.

I guess there is always  a chance of some variation, but in general for
the  Kenwood's:
pin 1 = mic audio
pin2 - ptt
pin 3 - down
pin4 - up
pin 5 - 8 vdc
pin 6 - not used in the 590, but may provide speaker audio in some rigs
pin 7 - mic ground  (may be a braid wire)
pin 8 - ground

73, good luck with the new toy, Steve  KW3A