Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 2009 12:24:20 -0400
Colleen,

I'd certainly be interested in substantiation of your claim about audible
traffic signals.  It seems to me again that the NFB is counter-intuitively
taking the wrong position.  In the few intersections where I've had the
pleasure of encountering an audible traffic signal, they are most helpful.  If
you arrive at the intersection after the parallel traffic has started, you
know whether the "Walk" signal is still on, meaning you have time to traverse
the crossing without waiting through another cycle.  Some of the signals will
state the street name, which is sometimes helpful if you are in an unfamiliar
area and don't have access to a talking GPS solution. Finally, on low-traffic
parallel crossings, what with right-turn-on-red and even left-turn on red in
some intersections, there ae times when you wouldn't even know when the light
had changed until it would be too late to safely cross the intersection.

 And, furthermore, my question would be if sighted people have an indication
on when it is safe to walk, then why shouldn't the visually impaired?

From: Richard Scott <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: 2009/08/07 18:29:10