From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:12:19 -0400
Medium-wave DX is not quite dead yet, as you discover if you read some of
the articles in Popular Communications.  And there is a website I need to
find where they discuss various SWL Dxpeditions.  Being at the low part of
the sunspot cycle doesn't hurt either.

Last week, while staying in a wood-frame bed-and-breakfast in Ocean City,
New Jersey, about two blocks from the ocean, I heard at various times the
following on a RadioShack AM/SW radio (probably a DX-402:

WOAI San Antonio, TX on 1200 KHz.
A French-language station, probably in France, on 1206 KHz.
Something in Arabic on 1215 KHz.
Something else in Arabic, perhaps Saudi Arabia, on 1521 KHz.
Lots of heterodynes on other frequencies, since the Eastern Hemisphere is on
9 KHz spacing while North America is on 10 KHz spacing.  At my house near
Washington, DC, a half-mile from WTWP on 1500 KHz, I only hear the
heterodynes and have never been able to demodulate anything.

No long wires, Beverages, EWE's or phased loops were used, just the radio.
It's kind of a once-in-a-lifetime experience, especially if they indeed put
IBOC on the air at night.  I think they may learn that skywave and IBOC
don't mix too well.

73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls