From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:08:00 -0330
Hi Steve:

No thanks on the Big IR! LOL My former club purchased the 3 element yagi and although it performed well, It got ripped to pieces with in a year of operation. It was on a 60F tower.
If I bought the complete Thunder Bolt package, which includes, 30 assembled radials with terminals, Radial plate and mounting hardware, Unon Balun and mounting hardware, tilt over base and antenna, I'd be looking at around 750CAN. I don't think I need the radial plate, pre_made radials so could save some there.
The antenna with Unon balun and mounting hardware sells for 259.95USD which would convert to around and about 400Can, taking into account the exchange, 13% tax up here, 14% duty and a customs fee of between 17/31%.
I would fab my own radials out of wire I could buy locally at 70 a roll, (2 rolls) and attach them to my stainless steel mounting pipe, instead of using a radial plate for about 150CAN.
Throw in about 25 bucks for misc, I figure I would get the antenna up and running for around 575 CAN
Would get my Dad to weld bolts to my mounting pipe to attach my radials. I think it would serve the same as a purchased radial plate.
I think some marketing is also used to entice! LOL

73:

Michael De VO1RYN