From:
"Nathan, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:49:44 -0700
Hi All,

I may be in a position to purchase a small HF radio for travel purposes and
the like.  I know the question of accessibility for various radios comes up
here often; but, I have to admit, I don't usually read all of them unless
I'm interested at that point.  So, if the things I am about to ask are
already in the archives, someone please tell me how to get there.

Here goes.  The radios I am very interested in are the Icom IC-706 in some
flavor, Yaesu FT-100 and Kenwood TS-50.  I am also interested in looking at
something like the Icom 718 but I don't know how big it is.  My emphasis
here is size and accessibility.  I am totally blind.  Can any of these
radios be operated by a totally blind person with help from an external
source such as the QSY'er for the Icom and Yaesu?  Please feel free to share
your opinions with me off list if you choose.  Please send cc as well to

Thanks for your patience and 73.
Kevin, K7RX

Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
Dept. of Services for the Blind
3411 S. Alaska
Seattle, Wa 98118
Voice:  (206) 721-6450