From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:02:44 -0400
I have likewise been a long-time NFB member (since 1990). Unlike some,
I think the research into a car we can drive (as opposed to one that
drives us) is significant, even if it proves, for either technological
or social reasons, not to be feasible. I'm not convinced it's an
impossible nut to crack, but neither am I convinced that we'll have
such a vehicle or that such a vehicle is the best solution. Still,
looking into the possibility can only help toward the ultimate goal of
private and independent transportation for us alongside our sighted
peers.

As to the other issues:

Tactually identifiable money: I think it's a good thing. I see no
reason why we can't join the rest of the world in having it. Do I
think we in the NFB expended overmuch energy in fighting it, when it
wasn't so long ago we were trying to convince the Department of the
Treasury that we thought it would be a good thing? (Yes, we all agree
that having more of it in the first place is a bigger priority, but
let's put that aside for a moment.) I do. The argument goes that we
didn't believe that a lawsuit was the right vehicle for such a change,
but IMO it comes down to this stupid split that happened 50 years ago.
We opposed it, at its base, and in my opinion, simply because the ACB
championed it, and that's a pretty silly reason. Naturally, I'm very
certain I will get lots of disagreement, and people will say that this
wasn't the reason. I'm good with that.

Audible traffic signals: while I don't believe we need them
*everywhere*, there are places and situations where they would
probably be helpful, but only the modern kind that adjust their volume
to the ambient sound level and are user actuated. Even better would be
the ones that actually verbalize which street has the light. However,
I do believe that their placement should be judiciously considered and
only in situations where traffic is difficult to read; places like
roundabouts perhaps, or intersections where several streets converge
with several turning lanes, or mid-block crossings where it's
particularly difficult to judge the light anyway. I definitely don't
believe your basic plus sign type intersections need them at all.

Detectable warning tiles: if we're really concerned about safety, how
about walling off the tracks and only having automatic doors available
where the train doors would open. Of course, this will never happen,
as it would require quite a bit of expense, but I'm not convinced that
detectable warning tiles by their mere presence make subway platforms
any safer than not having them, especially if one is properly using
one's cane or guide dog. Getting pushed off the platform, on the other
hand, is something else, and a strip of truncated domes won't save
you. (Neither will an audible traffic signal save you if someone runs
the light, but I digress.)