From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2015 06:21:13 -0800
I can tell you're on the i phone cool aid.  There is more than way to
make something accessible.  If we follow your logic, then rt systems
software is accessible because it sort of works with n v d a.  No need
too improve it and make it work with jaws or window-eyes.  And, I'm not
just talking about phones, touch screens and displays on appliances,
stereo receivers and so forth.  Yes Apple has done a great job building
in the voice, but in your own way, you are calling me an ass hole
because I think we should have other choices for accessibility.  The
jestures just aren't natural to me just as cw waz never fun for me.  So
If I follow your logic, I should not use ssb because you and others use
cw.  Just because it is natural for you doesn't mean it is for all of us
or that that should be the only solution.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015, Colin
McDonald wrote:

> [...]
> mobile device...many of these already do, though the price point is still
> higher than average.
> You would be amazed at what is out there now that has wireless
> access...coffee makers, meat smokers, home stereos, cooking and medical
> thermometers, thermostats, microwaves, ovens, washers and dryers...the list
> goes on and on and on as to what you can buy and download an app and control
> with your phone...and most of those apps are accessible.  It's way way
> beyond the geeky half assed computer control systems of 10 years ago and
> more where you could control your heating, lighting and a few other things
> via your PC with some expensive control hardware and software.
> So you can say it's not for everyone, you can say your not comfortable with
> the interface and that others shouldn't try to convince you otherwise, but
> where are you going to be in 5 years when access is sitting right there, and
> you don't have it because you don't want to use a touch screen?  The horse
> and buggy senario is apt here.  When other blind people who took the plunge
> and learned to be  comfortable with the new interface are comfortably
> accessing all this stuff in the next few years, are you still going to be
> complaining that access is not being put into devices?  The old way of
> thinking, where we wish to have things talk to us directly or beep or
> whatever to give some kind of feedback is not realistic anymore.  We can
> gain access in this new way though via a device like an IPhone, IPad, IPod
> or android/windows  device instead and it's smart to learn to use it now
> rather than later.
> Bluetooth keyboards are becoming popular even amongst sited users to type on
> their touch screen devices...I also predict that apple will release a device
> with a full QWERTY style keyboard within the next few years as
> well...essentially blowing away any complaints about the tediousness of
> learning how to use a touch screen as a blind person.  yeah, it's not easy,
> and it can be frustrating when coming directly from something with buttons
> on it, but it's not impossible and it can only help not hinder access.  The
> tactile screen protecters from speed dots are invaluable for new users of an
> IPhone who are switching from button phones.  It gives you a tactile point
> of reference, like a button, and allows you to more easily learn to use the
> device...and if you leave it on then fine no one cares.
> Get too far behind the curve though and it'll only be harder to catch up
> later on.  There is a logic to all of this and if you can see yourself past
> the initial difficulties, the logic will pervaille.
> This is not a passing fad, or a simple fashion accessory or the new fangled
> toy of the day...it's way way more than that.  And, we as blind consumers
> and those who desire greater access are right in the thick of it.  It's a
> golden age of access rather than inaccess.

>>> grrrrrrr.
>>> 73
>>> Butch