From:
Darrell Shandrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 06:28:41 -0700
Hi Tom,

Any organization dealing with those of us with disabilities has an absolute
mandate to be accessible to us, certainly much more accessible (paperwork,
etc.) than does a private business outside the field of disabilities...
Handiham is not a medical or rehabilitation provider but a ham radio
club/organization.  They should be using a model such as that used by
Benetech for the disability verification process for Bookshare membership.
That model verifies disability good enough for the publishing industry, so
it is also good enough for anything that needs to be done by Handiham.
There's not too much questioning involved with joining Bookshare and
verifying your disability, and the process is quite accessible.

You'll get no complaints from me on anything like dues or anything else
Handiham has done to date, but the possibility of accessibility implications
is a definite show stopper.