From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2015 21:08:27 -0400
Thanks for sending the great audio clip, Mike!

I've got some frogs right near my new RV camp site that I'd like to try this
experiment on, once I get my Alpha Delta DXCC dipole up out there, hopefully
well before Field Day!

Wonder what 100 watts will do!! (LOL)

Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ

Even if you can't copy CW, the QRM from the neighborhood frog in the
mp3 link below this story will make you laugh.

The guy who is transmitting is WG0AT, who lives in Colorado, along with a
few pet goats.

He is talking with a station in Jefferson City, Mo.

For the most part, the frog only croaks when he is transmitting.

Go figure.

Mike Duke

From: Steve Galchutt <[log in to unmask]>
to: qrp-l qrp-l <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [QRP-L] Twisted Pair Doublet & Frog QRM
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 09:07:32 -0600

Setup KX3 on the patio outside near the pond to test a portable antenna that
I've been thinking of using for portable SOTA ops. It's ~48' of continuous
#22 twisted pair CAT-5 soft drawn copper wire fashioned into a 44' doublet.
Rolled up it fits in a sandwich bag feedline and all (5-oz).

KX3's ATU matched it with ease on 80-6m. But the bands were really poor! Did
manage a nice contact with Kent/K9ZTV- Jefferson, MO on 30m (5W, 680-miles)
in spite of the QRM from a frog ...who whenever I keyed up seemed to join in
chorus with me? Lots of birds, goat bells and other environmental noises
added to a fun end of day CW QSO.  Cndx:
Solar Flux: 94 SN: 28 A-index: 007

MP3Sound file: https://soundcloud.com/goathiker/k9ztvqsomp3
Pix of setup/antenna: https://flic.kr/s/aHskc1imzZ

73, Steve/wGOAT