From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:12:17 -0600
The exact model number escapes me, but, if you dig around in the antennas
section of the MFJ web page, http://www.mfjenterprises.com, you'll find it
for about $29.95. Do not go to the Hi-gain page.

It's a quarter wave on 2 meters, and claims about 2 db of gain on 440. It
looks like an older cell phone antenna with the open coil in the middle of
the vertical.

I ran one for 6 years on my apartment balcony, and will soon put it on the
roof of my house. It is the only 440 antenna I have. I don't really need
more than that, because outside of Jackson, the nearest 440 machine is over
60 miles away.

If you can get this little antenna up in a tree, or at least above the
housetop, you'll be surprised at how well it will perform for local work.

MFJ also has a small duel band beam for about $70.

If you're in an area that often has strong lightning, you better spend
another $70 or so and install a Polyphaser, or similar static discharge
system in the feed line of that 24 foot fiberglass model. Otherwise, you're
setting yourself up to be vaporized.

Mike Duke, K5XU