From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:13:42 -0400
Howard,

As for the 480 menu's:  "You're a braver man than I am Gunga Din."

My understanding is that the menu's don't talk.   I think there is also
a full reset involved in the process, so you should back up  the radio
using the Kenwood software first.

I also think  some of these menu's have no "default" setting and are
spicific to a particular radio.    You should make a note of  anything
you are going to change, so you can get back to it if needed.

I would hope you have something more accurate than the TW-1 for
measuring power.   I wouldn't tinker in the service menu's based  on the
TW-1 readings.

Don't know if you have ever heard of Cliff at Avid, who is a well known
  Kenwood  service guy, but here is a link to a post he made regarding
service menu settings.    This post came up in the middle of a long
thread, but  you may find his  words of interest:

73, Steve KW3A