From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:45:57 -0600
Well I don't have a 2000, but I looked seriously at buying one.
The 2000 does everything, it was $1499 when I was looking.  HF VHF UHF 1.2
gigs optional as I remember it.  Same power, with 73 buttons and dials on
the front.  I did find a number of reviews on both radios by putting the
model numbers in to a search engine.
Specs seemed similar.  The ts480 was going for $919, and is operated from a
control head that attaches to the radio.  160 through 6 meters.  Receives
100 kHz to 60 MHz, A.M. SSB, and FM.  The menus all talk with the vS3 voice
module.  Audio filtering and DSP.  On both radios extra filters and the
voice board are not included.  Power is the same at least up to 6
meters.  Not sure on that band.
Since VHF wasn't a priority, my real choice came down to the TS480 and
TS870.  With the ssb hi fi freeks on, I still wonder about that
decision.  I know of a number of ts-2000 owners that traded their radios
in, because with all of those buttons, the radio could do everything except
become comfortable to operate.
What ever radio you choose will be the right choice, because it will become
the one you know how to operate.
Their are sum concerns that the PEP output on the ts480 is not as high as
it should be.  That concerns me.  It is a great receiver and it is very
nice to have the control head tethered to the radio, because it frees you
from being tethered to the operating desk.  The radio is about the size of
a family bible, and can be set where ever you like.  This really frees up
your  desktop for things that have to be there.  You can scan memories or
vfo ranges, run split frequency, and FM repeaters.  I have not investigated
PL,.  It also has a full computer interface with the comport on the front
of the radio for easy access.  The internal tuner is surprisingly broad,
much more than the indicated 2.5/1 range as indicated in the book.
Set-up was easy, manuals are accessible.  Can a ts-2000 operator review
their radio.