Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:19:09 -0600

Anthony wrote:
   >For whatever reason, this HT is a well kept secret in the amateur
   >community. It has great audio and, it is every bit as easy to
   >program as the F6. It does not have digital coded squelch because,
   >of it's age but, it is probably one of the most reliable radios
   >I've ever used. It uses the same computer cable as the F6 and, the
   >software is very accessible.
 I like mine.  I've had to replace the keypad and the SMA antenna
connector, and when I got it the cabinet of the radio was messed up so
the battery wouldn't lock in place.  That last one was done under
warranty.  I had a friend of mine replace the keypad and another
friend of mine do the sma connector.

I wouldn't know about the software though I've got it on a floppy
somewhere around here as I don't run any gui operating systems except
on the xyl's machine for desktop publishing so I've never used it.
However it's easily field programmable.

IF you buy a g71 buy a belt clip with each battery you plan to use if
you plan on using a belt clip.  THen when you first get the batteries
ready to go do a daub of superglue on the attachment points between
battery and belt clip.  DOn't quite care for the battery belt clip
arrangement but  oh well.  I'm not real happy with the build quality
of the radio, but to put it in perspective I use an HT frequently and
they get a lot of jarring as I load sound equipment etc.  tHis ht is
going on four years old for me right now and other than the repairs
I've mentioned is still doing its thing as it should.  That's a record
with me and handheld radios.
<knock on wooden desktop>

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

braille:  support true literacy for the blind!