From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2014 17:25:38 -0230
Hi Tom and Alan:
As users of the 811H, I'd paid particular attention to my load control settings over the weekend and I discovered something strange.
From the starting position, I find that if I rotate the control counter clock wise, the pitch on my TW-1 steadily rises.
I don't think this is the norm. When completely tuned, with the max drive, again if I move the load control counter clock wise off the 3 position, again the pitch steadily increases. I don't think this should be the case. However, shouldn't I just trust the TW-1 and adjust the load and plate controls until the max pitch is obtained? After tune up, I'm sure if I do that, the load control will possibly move down to the 2 mark. perhaps even lower. I'm also seeing a reduced output on 20M, 450 with 60 of drive and that could be an indication of one of the tubes going.
I didn't check the SWR between the 102 and amp but after 30 minutes of 20M operation yesterday, my 102 was pretty warm to the touch. Allot warmer then on 40M or 75M, where I get 600W with 50W of drive. So I may have a higher SWR between the rig and amp and this is another sign of a bad tube.
This isn't good news as RF Parts doesn't have a good supplier of 811s or 572Bs at the moment and I don't know how good the Chinese made tubes really are. Very poor quality from what I've heard.

73:
Mike VO1AX