From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2006 23:01:14 -0400
Hi Jeff, I've owned a couple of the dx392/akaSangean 818cs, and the
dx390/aka Sangean 818,/same rx<recorder.  My experience has been that Both
are pretty good, although not excellent receivers, and the former are
pretty good recorders.  Keyboard is a little unhandy in terms of layout, but
once you get the hang of it, it makes for a very handy addition to your
arsonal.  There've been quite a few times I've regretted, for one reason or
another, selling/swapping mine.  The clock/memory AA batteries will last
almost indefinitely, but I had several_ sets of different brands of alkoline
cells in several different units, to suffer from corosion, and the battery
case is more than a little difficult to take apart and clean.  Make sure to
1, use adequately amped" AC adapter when possible.  2, ____Make sure to
check your 4, d, cells, often, for corosion, and get them out of there
immediately at ___The ___First ___Sign of possible trouble.  Again, I don't
know why I had so many instances of corosion in the battery wells of the
390s and 392s I've owned, but I have.....the only other receiver with
anywhere near the battery problems in my experience has been the
radioshack/sangean dx440/Aka803.

     Make Sure You Also Check 9/10 kc set switch, it's in the bottom of the
AA portion of the AA section of the battery well.  Also, be sure to check
out the receiver on _all bands before taking delivery on it, the FM may do
very well, and you may only get _Very local_ reception on the SW, LW, and Mw
bands, or MW may be normal, and the other three very weak.  Usually this
happens because of a weird/apparently ""bent just so seating of Either, Or,
the rod antenna, and or the ext antenna jack.
If you haven't already, and can, take a tape whose speed, angle of asmeth,
etc, you're familiar with...a factory recorded music tape, with some slow
soft passages is probably best, as I have encountered one of these units
whose speed was ______Way Way Way! Slow......a c60 would last nearly 2hours
per side with that one, at somewhat reduced fidelity....very handy for some
applications, but you'd have to redub tapes to be able to use them on
another machine.
     In short, for a radio/recorder, it sounds good, once you learn its'
querks, and it'll do what you ask it to do, receive and record pretty well.
Don't let my comments desuade you, just be prepared.  They were closed out
for $50 bucks by radioshack, I think still bring 3times that, new, from
Sangean, and are, when they're right, _Very handy and usually pretty
dependable. If I can help you further, let me know.  Danny Dyer, Wb4idu.