From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:09:06 -0500
Hi.

Sounds like it has more to do with the way that they are shaping the audio
than the actual power output.  I wonder if one injects a steady audio tone
into each radio, if one gets the same power out?  If the newer radios are
doing less processing of the audio, that would make the apparent power
output go down.  But, an injected audio tone should give about the same
results on both.  I also wonder if brand of radio makes a difference--I
haven't noticed this phenomenon with my Icom IC-706--it seems to make just
as many contacts as my faithful old Kenwood TS-690S, although I think the
receiver in the Kenwood beats the pants off the Icom.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]