From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 14:59:01 -0400
On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 11:30:01AM -0400, Lowell Miller wrote:
> I think you will find that the voice synthesizer will
> give you more information than
> any of the other rigs.

I think you'll find that this is incorrect. The KRC2-AC gives you
*everything* (with a couple of small exceptions). And all the info you
get as a blind guy from the KRC2 is *exactly* the same as what would
be displayed on the screen, with notable exceptions done in
easy-to-understand shorthand. Very minimal manual reading required,
and once you learn how the menus work, you won't need a cheat sheet
for them--the menu entries are exactly the same through the KRC2-AC as
they are on the display. No translation of meaningless numbers into
what the menu actually does. Of course, if you don't know code, you'd
either ought to learn it, or this option isn't for you...but I can
absolutely attest to the fact that it will absolutely give more
feedback (including changes in power, keyer speed, RIT/XIT offset, VFO
A/B, split, and all the rest).

> With the help of some braille notes, I can
> do nearly everything with it I ever need.

The K2 requires no extra notes, apart from initially learning what the
buttons do. The menus are generally set-and-forget, but even those,
once you learn what they do, require no extra cheat sheets. And...I
can do *everything* I need with my K2 and the KRC2-AC; not just nearly
everything.

> I am totally blind and the speech is great!

Me, too, and I'll take the more complete morse output every time!

> That's my opinion; its up to you.

And this is mine, but it's still up to you :)

BTW, Elecraft is, far as I can tell, the only manufacturer who is not
only meeting our needs, but actively asking for and implementing our
input. Kenwood's got some nice gear, but it seems to me that it just
happens to have an option that just happens to be good for
us. Elecraft has actively--and has pledged to continue to
actively--developed for our needs. That, in my always humble opinion,
is worth something.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV
Help us bring our child home! Visit http://ouradoption.brannan.name to