From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:58:55 -0500
Someone asked me off list for more information about the
portable vertical that I mentioned in my Field Day wrap up
message. I thought others may want to know about it as well,
so my reply is going to the entire list.

The owner told me last night it is an MFJ-2286. This antenna
is advertised as being back pack friendly, and sells for
$100.

It covers 40 through 6 meters, with the combination of a
telescoping whip and a loading coil at the base, plus 4
radials that I believe are each 12 feet long.

The antenna is full size on 20 meters and above, with the
coil added for 30 and 40 meter operation. Yes, the
telescoping whip really does extend to 16.5 feet.

We had it installed atop a five foot mast that was standing
inside a shorter piece of PVC pipe that had been cemented
into a cat litter bucket filled with concrete.

Believe me, when that bucket was sat down, it did not budge,
and you didn't try to move it unless you really wanted to
show off your muscles.

The antenna was located too far from the radio, plus there
was too much noise around, so I did not have the opportunity
to try tuning it by ear.

My guess is that for 40 and 30 meters, the ear tuning method
may work fine.

From 20 meters up, the ear method won't be very close since
the antenna is a full length quarter wave on those bands.
With a little practice, however, you should be able to
develop a feel for how much of the whip to extend for each
band by using the bottom 2 or 3 sections when a partial
section is needed for a given band.

Based on the way it worked for us this weekend, and on the
EHam.net reviews, I would consider it if I were in a postage
stamp yard situation where I could not leave a vertical
standing all of the time.

Mike Duke, K5XU