From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:57:07 -0500
Hi Danny,

I'm using a Kenwood TS2000, but the transceiver you use really doesn't
matter.  All of the digital conversion is done by the Digipan software.  You
need to connect your receiver audio output to the input of your computer
sound card.  If you want to transmit, you need to hook up your sound card
output to your mic input on your transceiver.  Some transceivers allow you
to hookup everything through a din plug on the back of the rig.  MFJ and
West Mountain sell interfaces that make connections easier, but they are not
necessary.  The computer you use doesn't matter as long as digipan will run
on it and you have a good sound card.

There are many digital modes and bpsk31 is one of the more popular ones, but
who knows what will happen tomorrow.

I've also tried digital voice, but I stopped using it because the quality
was simply horrible at best and I couldn't see transmitting a continuous
digital signal to produce a voice output that was so bad.  You had to have a
nearly noise free band and I thought that sideband was simply more efficient
with better quality.
If you want to check these out, you can google
FDMDV or WIN DRM.  These are two different digital voice modes that are not
compatible and in my opinion, they are both not worth the time of day.  On
the other hand, BPSK31 can decode signals that I can't even here over the
air.  That really impressed me!

I'm attaching a wave file of an FDMDV encoded transmission.

73

Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]
Skype, bobtinn
Life is full of challenges, that's what makes it interesting!