From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:02:25 -0800
This question comes up every month or so and I write a reply and
think I should have saved a copy of what I wrote last month.  So,
this time, I'm saving a copy.  I havbe both hts.  Honestly, I use
the Kenwood more for ham use just because, in my opinion,  it is
easier to program and I have all the local repeaters in it for Las
Vegas.  I finally bought a cable to program the t90 from a local
ham.  He also included the software, which by the way, works well
with window-eyes.  I do also have the cable for the Kenwood.  Here
are my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

First, let us compare assessories.  Kenwood is  high on these
things, as all manufacturers seem to be, but Icom is even more
expensive.  Examples.  Kenwood software is free on line.  Icom
software I think is $25.00.  Kenwood computer programming cable is
$35.00.  Icom cable is $45.00.  NOte, this cable is available from
another source, rt systems,  for $25.  The DC power cord is
similar.  $35 for the Kenwood, $45 for the icom.  The icom
specificly says in the book not to exceed 11.5 volts, so you'll
need some kind of regulater if you plan to run it on 12v
cigarrette lighter, which you could build or buy their high priced
dc cord.  I haven't tried either speaker mike.  The case is
another example.  The kenwood case is kind of a rough feeling
materiall and comes with a belt clip.  There is an opening over
the keys, so radio can easily be run in the case.  The cost is
$15.00.  The icom case is a leather feeling material and very
soft.  It has a transparent cover over the keys, so is a little
harder to run the radio in the case.  I think cost on this case is
$25.00.

Layout.  I prefer the layout on the kenwood.  It has a
more standard keypad, basically 4 by 4.  The icom has 3 keys up and
down and 5 across  which I think is a little strange.

Tv band and cw.  The two main reasons I bought the t90 after
  already owning a th-f6 are these.  The icom has a cw readout for
  frequency.  Also, the Icom has TV channels preprogrammed.  NOt a
  big deal, as I programmed all of the channels into the kenwood
  when I got the cable.  I don't know if Icom also played with the
  filtering or what, but the t-90 beats the kenwood hands down for
  receive on TV channels.  I compared them side by side many times.
  I've even swapped antennas.  Icom always wins.  TV stations I can
  't even hear on the Kenwood are crystal clear on the t-90.  I
  suspect it has something to do with the bandwidth.  I ran into an
  engineer at the N A B convention here, and he tole me Tv channels
  were 25 KC wide, and I think Fm is a hundred.

The icom does not receive as high a frequency as the Kenwood, but
I don't recall the exact numbers.  One big drawback, and I don't
know why they did this, is what the icom does above 900.  I use
some wireless headphones and speaker systems at home and I like to
grab the ht and listen to these outside.  The kenwood works fine
as I can put it in wide fm mode above 900.  Not so with the t-90.
It forces you to narro and won't receive wide at all.  Also, the
Kenwood receives sideband.  It isn't very sensative, but does make
a nice hf transmit monitor.  I was running a kenwood 130 when I
was back In Kansas over Christmas and used the Kenwood ht to get
me close to the wanted frequency.

I feel the Kenwood is easier to program.  The icom isn't bad once
you get the hang of it, I just think the Kenwood is more
intuitive.  I haven't checked lately, but I think the t-90 is less
expensive for the basic package than the Kenwood.

I am not sure why, but the battery seems to last much longer on
the Kenwood.  I need to check and see what battery saver options
the icom has.  Also, last week end the Kenwood was run down, so I
grabbed the t90 to run in the mobile on my little outside antenna.
I was amazed how much garbage I kept hearing on the t90.  The
Kenwood seems to be  much tighter.

As far as ham band coverage, the icom works on six, and the
Kenwood on 220, so that is something else to consider.  If you run
the icom on six, you screw on a little add on thingy on the
antenna to make it longer.

I guess, if I had to pick, I'd pick the Kenwood.  Actually, I'd
like to cross them and come up with one heck of a radio.  Hope
this helps.  AS the old saying goes, your mileage may vary...

73s. Butch WA0VJR.

73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr