From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 06:50:54 -0400
As far as I remember, that band was never a ham band.  It was occupied by
some carrier-current devices (which ran over power lines).  It's actually
part of the long-wave broadcast band.  I think that a lot of experiments
were carried out by hams and others using equipment that complied with Part
15.  Because antennas are so inefficient at those frequencies, you could put
a lot of RF into an antenna and still not radiate much.  Official
internationally-agreed allocations are around 137 and 475 KHz, although I
don't remember which of those are fully legal in the USA at the moment.