From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:26:50 -0600
Oh ok, wasn't quite sure what you meant there hi hi.
Things are certainly looking up for the Canadian dollar anyway, at least,
with regard to the US dollar...becoming more and more of an equal footing as
the US currency drops...and what does all this have to do with Ham radio,
well, for one thing, buying lower priced ham gear out of the US is easier
now that the exchange rate is such that we can actually make a substantial
savings by buying gear from south of the border.
I am not quite sure why, but it seems that many places in canada, that only
have 1 or 2 radio shops located in them, tend to charge a rather higher
price for gear then you might find at some of the big suppliers in the US.
It is sad that offten local economy can not be supported, but why pay an
extra $3 or 400 for a peace of equipment when you can save that money even
with an exchange rate and shipping costs.
This particular situation probably varries as you get into the large
population areas of canada such as ontario and quebec.
73's
Colin, VA6BKX