From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:13:42 -0230
Hi Steve:

Well the Hustler package I quoted is based on the complete DX Engineering package which comes complete with the tilt up base and hardware.
The Butternut from radio world in toronto, sells for 520 plus taxes (13%) plus shipping and isn't sold with a tilt over base.
So I'm figuring that I'd supply my own radial kit, so knock 54 dollars off the DX Engineering package and I figure I'd get it for 400USD.
I too have been thinking along those lines of going with a decent performing wire and better supporting it.
I really don't think a 700 vertical, 1K if I will have to add the external auto tuner, will give me that much better performance over a good windom or G5RV style wire antenna.
I'd would have like to work on a consistent bases, some VKs or JAs and other areas of the far east or south pacific, on 80/30M but there's the cost to think about! LOL

73:

Michael De VO1RYN