From:
Richard Fiorello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:29:41 -0500
Hi;
I have to put my two cents in on this one.  Jerry, don't feel to overwhelmed
with the list of possible choices.A dipole will generally outperform a
vertical.  On the other hand, a three element beam will out perform the
dipole.  Then again six elements on a 60 foot tower would be a great
performer.  The thing with antennas is that you have to look at  both
performance and how much space you have, what your wife will put up with and
what you can erect.
Most blind hams who have been around a bit can play with a radio and get it
to work.  You may need help with some functions but the basics can be
figured out.  Unfortunately I have found antennas much more challenging.  If
you are active in a club and have a list of happy helpers or have a brother
or sister who is on the air then the job is easier.
Sometimes you may need to opt for a easy to put up less efficient antenna.
I'm still waiting for that 60 foot tower.
While I was putting the message together I just got a call that the sale of
my current home looks like a done deal.  Since closing is in November, I may
have to live with echo link and uhf/vhf until spring.
Richard