Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:45:14 -0500
As one of the listees has mentioned,  Packet is good for NTS and emergency
communications.  Since HIPPA went into effect , transmitting someone's name
and address and life status level might be a preach  of protocol,  The
packet system can send encrypted information over the packet radio.
Hospitals in our area can use them to communicate from the scene of the
disaster to the local hospital and not violate  HIPPA .  So practicing it
with your home setup is practice for an emergency.  Gary KB2YAA