From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2012 09:23:28 -0500
You can set a pl tone and not a "ctcss" tone if you want. If the band is
crowded where you are you may not want to but you could, where I live a lot
of people do it but they're nuts. You have no hope of scanning without it
around my way but I hear we're flooded with repeaters where most of the
country isn't as bad. Our coordination group needs to spread things out in
New England though the biggest problem is that CT is so hilly and has a
different coordination group from us and in a battle, right or wrong, the CT
group, run by the ARRL, always wins so it's no point fighting interference
from a CT repeater. Most of the country though, I'd imagine from what I've
heard, you don't need CTCSS, tone squelch, what ever you want to call it. My
radio scans the repeaters for clubs I belong to, a MARS repeater, and a
couple other things so I run it where I can, if I didn't the radio would
never scan, even in the hole I'm in now. I thought I was in a hole before,
I'm in a much better hole now and still hear what I always did. I have a
feeling though the day is fast approaching where I put something else where
the dual band antenna is and that's the end of me on 2 meters from here.