From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:37:37 -0400
If lightning gets to your RF ground, you already lost the radio, and very
likely you if you're anywhere near the equipment, in fact, it's more likely
to come in on your rf ground if it's grounded outside. I can't tell you how
many instances of that I've heard. If you can't get a ground outside, I'd go
with out, unless you really think you'd need it, then you can always make
counterpoises for the band/s you have trouble on or use most 1/4 wave length
of wires connected to the grounding lug on the radio, and run them around
the outer edges of the room. I've run a lot of special event and gokit
station setups though with no RF ground at all and never had a problem, here
at home I have one of the mfj artificial grounds but with the amp, that
can't handle it so I don't run anything at all. the only time I have a
problem and I'm working on that is when I use the w2ihy EQ and the amp on 40
meters, mostly on my 40 meter dipole which doesn't make sense, but that's
the way it goes.