From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:25:10 -0800
Hi All,

Yes, as the subject suggests, those of you that don't know the double
meaning of 807 probably cant help me here.  For the rest of you old farts
like me, I need to address a question to you.  As a few of you may know, I
am in process of setting up a vintage AM and CW station.  I have a
Hammarlund HQ-110 and a Knight Kit T-60 transmitter.  While the T-60 has
some sentimental value since I ran one like it as my first real novice
transmitter, I am not saddled with this.  Part of its appeal though is its
simplicity.  To tune it up, all you need do is put a tuning aid on and then
tweak drive tune, plate and load for maximum pitch.

But here's the question and my dilemma.  I am going to a swap fest this
weekend for old time radios.  I wouldn't mind landing a transmitter with a
little more power.  But, I can remember with some of the bigger
transmitters, the Heath Kit DX-100 for example, having to set a particular
level of drive current which would not be indicated by a tuning aid.  So,
based on that, my question is how did you guys who used these bigger
transmitters deal with this need to set a specific level of drive current if
you were too blind to read the meter on the transmitter?  Secondly, were
there other transmitters that were as simple as the T-60 to tune up and
which ran more power?

I would appreciate any discussion or recommendations any of you might have.
Very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX