From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:57:32 -0400
N1MM is a very full-featured program; N3FJP is probably a lot easier to use
for most casual contesters.  N1MM has screens and scoring capabilities for
more than 150 contests, many of which you have never heard of.  For general
logging I use their "DX" contest setting, which has a few fields for call,
name, sent and received RST, and comments.  You can edit a QSO, which puts
perhaps two dozen more fields on the screen.  In general logging, some of
the program's info may appear outside what Window-Eyes considers to be the
active window.  But maybe I'm mixing that behavior up with that of Ham Radio
Deluxe, whose logging module has been a bust for me so far.

I set up Window-Eyes so pressing the spacebar or the Tab key reads the field
name.  This helps keep me oriented as to which field I am in.  In the
simplest contests, you can type the call, press spacebar and see if it
already has the correct zone or whatever, then Enter.  If you have set up
the correct interfaces with your rig, you can send canned CW or voice
messages using function keys (I have not done this yet).  If you are on 80
CW on perhaps 3520, you can type 02 and be on 3502.  I find that if I type
7002 to force a band change, my FT-950 switches to the correct frequency,
but it doesn't switch antennas (I have the 40 dipole on the second antenna
connector).

There are many, many other features in N1MM, such as single operator, two
radio, packet cluster posting, etc., and the help system is huge.  You don't
want to just go into a contest cold and expect it to work for you.  For each
type of contest there may be a different number of fields to fill out, and
you want to make sure it has your station information correct before you
start logging and then submitting your log.  I need to set up a
color-sensitive window so that N1MM will automatically announce "Dupe"
without my having to look for that message with the mouse pointer.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls
http://www.facebook.com/lloyd.rasmussen