From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2016 18:56:56 -0700
we are fortunate in Canada in that radios used in the amateur radio service
do not require type acceptance by our government, that being Industry
Canada.
The radios must meet regulatory emitions when they are transmitting and that
is all.
So, any of the Chinese radios are perfect as long as they don't transmit
spirius RF outside the ham band and meet requirements for harmonic
interpherence...and with the acception of some of the early HT's and mobiles
from more than 5 years ago, they all meet those emition standards now.
I know the regulations in the US are slightly different, but they are
regulations, and technicalities within much broader legislative documents
which are designed to regulate a service rather than criminalize users or
make specific equipment illegal within the amateur service.
So while you can argue the legalese until your blue in the face, as amateurs
we are responsible for operating our equipment in line with good and correct
operating procedures and practices rather than getting entangled in small
poorly understood or poorly defined technical regulatory matters.
Few of us are lawyers, and so we are not expected to be able to interpret
and be able to understand some vague or small technical detail of a
regulation...we can operate our equipment ethically, and in line with
amateur guide lines.  It doesn't matter if the radio we are using was made
in china and doesn't have a sticker on it...if it meets basic technical
requirement to be used without harmful or purposeful interpherence to other
amateurs or other licensed spectrums then it is perfectly fine to use.
I have not heard of one single insident where a ham operator has been
charged or other wise fined or criminalized for operating a radio that
wasn't officially type accepted.  That is out of 800 thousand hams in the
US.
How about all these home brew rigs that hams use? are they type accepted by
the FCC? not at all.  They are still legal...they are legal by the
definition of not being built by a commercial entity being paid to do so,
but the end result is precisely the same.  Now operating out of band, or
operating with more than the legal limit are different things because they
do cause interpherence to other parts of the radio spectrum and to other
amateur operators.  However, even there, if you are operating 10,000 watts
out in the middle of no where, and your stations transmitter is clean and
doesn't cause anyone any interpherence, and you are a good operator not a
jerk, you aren't doing anything criminal or wrong.
If you operate 10K in the middle of New York City and blast everyones TV's
and stereos and splatter all over the band and interphere with local AM
broadcast stations, then obviously your going to get in trouble for it.
If the posted speed limit on the highway is 65Mph, and you are doing 75 and
driving properly and with care, your not going to get pulled over most of
the time.  If you are doing 60Mph in a 20MPH school zone, your going to get
in trouble.
The thing to remember in all this back and forth about radios being type
accepted or legal or whatever, is that your not committing a criminal act if
you do happen to use equipment that doesn't meet the exact letter of the
regulations.
There are pretty specific criminal acts that you can commit, using a
non-type accepted radio is not one of them.

73
Colin, V A6BKX