From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:56:31 -0400
I totally agree with John Miller's assessment.  I briefly had a Yaesu VX5-R. several years ago, and it was my least favorite rig of all the radios that I have had.  I returned it within the time limit.  I had to pay a restocking fee, but it was worth it to be rid of it.

I also have a friend who got an alinko DJ-580, and I think he wishes now that he hadn't.  I gave him my THF-6A following Katrina because he had his suitcase stolen while in an evacuation shelter.  I eventually bought a used one from someone on this list which I still have, but he traded the equipment I gave him for the DJ-580 and I am told that even after getting the manual brailed he is still confused about operating the rig.  He even asked me to help him find the manual and someone to Braille it.  I guess he temporarily forgot who gave him that THF6-A in the first place.  If swapping and trading was not an accepted part of this hobby, I would have told him what I thought about that, but perhaps there is poetic justice out there after all.
Harvey