From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 14:56:35 -0600
fair enough.

I thought the US had a similar 70CM band plan to canada that designates fm
simplex frequencies on the band to the 446MHZ area?
I know the 70CM national calling frequency for Canada is 446.000...and I've
never heard of any simplex designations below 440.
I guess I'm just thinking that we manage to get by, in most places, with
4MHZ of band width on VHF, so why do we need 30MHZ of band width, or 20MHZ
in Canada, on a band that is seldom used in most places?
I know people are going to come back and say that UHF repeaters are just as
plentiful as VHF...while this may be true to some extent, VHF is still the
prefered repeater band in North America.  UHF gets used only when the VHF
band is too congested or when operators wish to get away from other
operators by using a different band that isn't as popular.
We have the 220 band which barely gets used, we have the 900MHZ band which
barely gets used...we have a tonne of spectrum and bands that aren't used,
yet we like to fight over losing 20MHZ of a huge chunk of spectrum that is
only slightly more used that the other UHF bands that are hardly used.
I do agree about the satellite stuff though...lots of money and time and
effort has gone into the am sats, and they can't exactly be changed once
they're up there, so taking away the frequencies they operate on would
eliminate that tiny little aspect of ham radio.
I can literally count on one hand the number of hams in this part of Alberta
who even have the gear to operate into satelites, and even fewer who
actually do it.
I would gladly exchange a part of the 400MHZ band for alocations on the 4M
or 70MHZ band...or perhaps in the 180 MHZ range...IE dig into the old tv
spectrum.
73
Colin, V A6BKX